The Polish Communication Association and the Faculty of Philosophy, Sociology and Journalism at the University of Gdańsk invite paper and panel proposals for the international conference entitled “Matters of Journalism: Understanding Professional Challenges and Dilemmas” which will take place in Gdańsk on September 14 – 15, 2012 at the University of Gdańsk.
The aim of this conference is to contribute to our understanding of powers that influence journalism standards and routines. Hence, the participants of the conference will concentrate on such ‘traditional’ issues as: relations between politics and journalism, market – related aspects of journalism, organizational and professional factors. Furthermore, the questions about a digital challenges for the journalism practice will be raised. In order to do this, the conference will bring together a range of international scholars, drawn from representative disciplines in the media studies and journalism. The key questions during the debates would concern the roles of journalists. Who are they now? What are the audiences’ expectations towards journalists? What is the future of this profession?
We invite paper and panel proposals that cover the main themes below:
• Traditional and contemporary models of journalism
• Professional standards and values
• The changing business of journalism
• Journalism practice around the world
• Digital challenges for journalism practice
• Online journalism
• Citizen journalism
• Ethics in new media
1. Individual paper: please submit a max 900 word abstract followed by the short biographical note (up words: name, surname, position, institution, address, e-mail) by January 15, 2012.
2. Panel submission: please submit a max 350 – word panel rationale, followed by 75 – word panel description and 150 word – abstracts of the papers (max 4 papers per panel) by 15 January, 2012.
More information: www.ptks.pl/conference